This is Niche Spotlight. In this column, we regularly introduce new games to our fans, so please leave feedback and let us know if there’s a game you want us to cover!
Independent Mexico-based developer Ansimuz Games released their pixelated tribute game, Elliot Quest, across a multitude of platforms.
The game is likened to a mix of Metroid, Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest, and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Hit play on the above trailer to get a better idea of how the game looks and plays – the animations really hit those nostalgic notes.
Elliot Quest follows a somewhat depressing story, where protagonist Elliot finds his wife missing, only to later fall ill and then attempt to kill himself.
He then discovers that he can’t die, which leads to him discovering he’s cursed. Your mission is to find a cure to the Satar demon, before it consumes Elliot’s vitality entirely.
The only hope for Elliot’s salvation is finding one of the island’s Guardians – powerful beings that have thus far kept the Satar from taking over Urele.
Here are the game’s key features:
- An expansive island to explore with over 16 unique bosses
- Customize your character with an engaging Level Up System
- Chain attacks to make enemies drop more items
- Experiment with different magic attacks to defeat Elliot’s enemies
- Solve puzzles to find hidden crystals and access secret areas
- Hunt powerful monsters to find powerful weapons
- 3 unique endings based on your decisions
- Well-balanced gameplay that’s easy to pick up but challenging to master
Originally funded on Kickstarter back in 2013, Elliot Quest is the brainchild of Luis Zuno, who later brought on collaborators from other counties. The game was first released on PC, only to later be ported to a bunch of other platforms.
Elliot Quest is currently available for PC, Mac, Linux, the Nintendo 3DS, and Wii U.
If you’re a developer and want your game showcased on Niche Spotlight, please contact us!
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
- , Xbox One
- , Linux
- , Mac
- , PC