So you’re a regular visitor at Niche Gamer? The obscure games, the niche games, the weird games, whatever you want to call them, we love them and we know that you love them as well. We only cover these games on our regular feed, and we only cover them on our podcast as well.
Niche News of the Week
- Self-Entitlement, Steam Black Outs, and You: Why This is Silly
- A New 3DS with a Second Analog Stick is Revealed
- Twitch is Actually Purchased by Amazon for $1 Billion
- Pokken Tournament is Revealed for Arcades
- Xenoblade Chronicles Remake is Announced for 3DS
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2 is Coming West in 2015
- Sekai Project are Licensing Clannad: Full Voice Edition for Steam
- Hit the Streets with the First Look at Yakuza 0
- No Man’s Sky has Over 18 Quintillion Planets to Explore
- Playstation Network is Affected by Large Scale DDOS Attack
Topic of the Week
Is the term “gamer” dead? Is the traditional sense of the hardcore gaming enthusiast something of the past, and are we all just “fans of video games?”
Several other websites have all curiously spun articles all saying roughly the same thing: that you’re wrong labeling yourself as a gamer, and that you’re wrong to simply want to play games – regardless of their social consciousness or moral progressivism.
- Kotaku – We Might be Witnessing the ‘Death of an Identity’
- Gamasutra – Gamers don’t have to be your audience. Gamers are over.
- Gamasutra – Opinion: Let’s retire the word ‘gamer’
- Dan Golding – The End of Gamers
- Ars Technica – The Death of the Gamers and the Women Who Killed Them
- Polygon – An Awful Week to Care About Video Games
Coming from this, Niche Gamer is asking our fans and readers to blacklist the following websites:
- Rock Paper Shotgun
- The Escapist
- Ars Technica
You can enjoy our podcast below, or you can download it here (right click and save as).
Developer Guest Speaker
A new segment to our podcast is featuring a developer who chooses to either plug their game and talk about it, or talk about current topics with us – or maybe both. Today’s developer is one of the creators behind the upcoming indie title, Sombrero.
Songs Featured in This Podcast
To stress how important and how scaringly grave the current situation with gaming journalism is, the opening song chosen for today is “Desert of Despair” from Ys Seven. To reflect how we’re only just beginning to see the first form of corruption games journalism, the ending theme chosen is “A Toccata Into Blood Soaked Darkness” from Castlevania: Curse of Darkness – which plays when you fight Dracula’s first form.
Please Leave Feedback and Ask Us Questions
Please write in to Niche Gamer-cast @ Niche Gamer (click to open a new message with your preferred email provider) with any questions, comments, music recommendations, and so on that you guys have. We will respond to any emails we get on the air during the next show!